Friday, June 19, 2020

Ever changing Life

Ever Changing Life

When life throws you a curve, how do you handle it?  Or does it depend on how big the curve is?  We all go through many highs and lows in our lives.  However, some are higher and some are lower.  Many times we go through long stretches of life being pretty even which is great. 

So often our lives goes rather smoothly.   We grow up, attend college, get married or move away.  We find our job we want or think we want, and continue on with life as we have had planned.  We may have a few bumps in the road along the way.  Those little bumps seem to help us grow to make better choices along the way. 

Isn’t it amazing on how many things affect us along the way?  We try to figure out what is right for us and not just right for those who we are close to.  So many times family or close friends think we need to live our lives the way they do.   Often times they are correct but often times we need to decide what is best for us as individuals. 

It truly seems like we get blindsided when things are going along as planed and – boom – something crazy happens that we never dreamed would happen.   We bury someone we love, some may get divorced, and jobs may take us away from family.   We may lose our jobs due to the economy or cutbacks with our employer.  Our children may choose to become part of the military which takes them to scary places or we are unable to see them for a few years.  There are probably a lot more I could come up with.  Isaiah 41:10 reads:  Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Some things that affected since my teen years are:  When I was 16 when one of my sister-in-law’s was killed in a car accident.  Her husband (my brother) and their two daughters moved in with my parents and my younger sister and I.  I was 22 when my mom passed away and 26 when my dad died.  At the age of 46, my husband passed away from heart attack and died.   One of my sons was in the Army and spent four tours in Iraq, Afghanistan and Kuwait.  My daughter and her husband had a full term son that was still born.  This sounds like a lot – and I’m not denying it isn’t, but it was over 54 years so there was time to digest each event.  Perhaps you have gone through deep issues with an illness, surgery or a lengthy recovery from an illness.

With the ‘normal’ ups and downs of life, along with issues going on in the world such as unrest, disease, famine, the economy, war and unrest.  Many of these do not affect us personally but many do.   Life doesn’t seem fair sometimes does it?

There are a couple of scriptures that are dear to my heart during troubling times.  They are:  Psalm 50:15: Call to me in times of trouble.  I will save you, and you will honor me.  The other is:  Romans 15:4:  Everything that was written in the past was written to teach us. The Scriptures give us patience and encouragement so that we can have hope.

The time in between each event, I was able to heal from that wound.  Even though each of these events were traumatic, some were more difficult to deal with than others.   Each of us processes things differently even though many parts of our journey are similar.  As you have gone through difficulties in your life, how have you reflected on what did or did not help you?  Some options of hope may be:
  • Meet with someone who has walked down your journey to see how they handled different situations.
  • What is your belief in God?  Do you have a faith that would help you sustain what you are going through?  
  • Talk with your clergy where you attend church.
  • If it is medical, speak with the hospital on who you can talk with.
  • What about your trusted friend?
  • Perhaps join a support group that helps with what you are going through.
  • I also recommend a counselor to help you through this difficult time.

Knowing when I trust that God is in control, it helps me get through many of these hurdles.  I love how He puts people in my life to help me through each stage I go through.  Does it seem less difficult, sometimes yes and sometimes no.  I know I have to rely on Him to figure it out.  Sometimes my choices are good and sometimes they are not.   But this I do know, when I rely on God and am patient, it always turns out better.

Please remember to be patient with yourself and take one step at a time!   Nothing seems to happen overnight! 

Blessings to you as you walk through each journey.  Remember it’s what we learn from both the good and sad times.

Appreciate what you have……..

No comments:

Post a Comment