Saturday, December 31, 2016

New Year Resolution’s – Or Not

New Year Resolution’s – Or Not

New Year’s resolutions are not something that I have ever taken seriously.  Probably because I can never keep them.  Perhaps I just do not have enough will power to keep them or it just doesn’t matter to me.

Looking back on 2016 and contemplating on what 2017 may bring, what would I change or could I change?  At this point, I  certainly cannot change anything from 2016 but there are possibilities for 2017.

For some reason as the year of 2016 closes, I decided to check into what this all means regarding making resolutions.  Making resolutions goes back about 4,000 years to the Babylonians who made promises to their gods at the start of each year that would return borrowed objects and pay their debts.  The Romans began each year by making promises to the god Janus which the month of January is named. 

There are similar religious parallels.  During Judaism’s New Year, from Rosh Hashanah through High Holiday and culminating Yom Kippur is to reflect upon one’s wrong doings over the year and both seek and offer forgiveness.  In the Christian liturgical season of Lent, the holiday is more of a sacrifice than of responsibility.  The idea, regardless of creed, is to reflect on self-improvement regularly.

That's it for your history lesson of Resolutions but it did get me thinking that there may be something to making New Year’s Resolutions!..  I do think it is a good idea to reflect on where we have been, where we might want to go and decide on how we want to get there. 

Perhaps 2016 was not a good year for you.  You may have lost someone very close to you.  Someone who you were hoping to spend the rest of your life with.  You may be think you have been robbed and perhaps you were.  So how does one handle New Year’s Resolutions?  I will admit and agree it isn’t easy.  Psalms 121:2 reads:  My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.  I often wonder how people handle great loss without God in their lives.   

Perhaps you are thinking – what would I choose for a new resolution this year?  Baby steps are the best.  What do you want to get through today or this week?  Where do you hope to be emotionally in six months or by next year?   Take it slow and take small steps.  Know that God is with you each step of the way!

With a New Year upon us, comes a new beginning – letting go what I cannot change and looking forward to what will become.  Perhaps by making a conscience decision to keep our eyes wide open to the positive changes that come into our lives.  Being aware of someone else in need to be there with a hug, a kind word or just to listen.

As you enter this New Year, may you feel God’s arms wrapped around you!

Blessings to you as you begin 2017.  

No comments:

Post a Comment